This post contains an up-to-date list of my “life areas”—a breakdown of the major different areas in my life, which I frequently use, for example when performing my yearly reviews.
1. Worldview & Purpose
Is: your overall clarity as to your existence, purpose, and place in the universe; religious beliefs; goals; philosophy of life; fundamentals; want out of life; values; worldview; beliefs about everything—the past, present, and future, what is valuable, virtuous, and just.
- Do you have something to protect?
- Do you have clarity as to your existence, purpose, and place in the universe?
- What is your philosophy of life?
- What do you want to get out of life?
2. Contribution & Impact
Is: giving value to the world; making a difference; impact on the world.
- How are you giving value to the world?
- Are you making a difference?
- How much impact does your existence have environmentally, socially, and cognitively?
- Are you giving effectively?
- Total donations.
3. Location & Possessions
Is: living situation, where in the world, home, possessions, electronics, toys, material sufficiency.
- Are you tied to one location?
- Are you mobile?
- What is your “home base”?
- Number of possessions.
4. Money & Finances
Is: savings, investments, assets, debt, organization, management, budgeting.
- Do you have savings, investments, or assets?
- Do you have any debt?
- Do you have a budget and do you follow it?
- Are your finances organized and managed?
- Do you know where you spend your money?
- Total debt.
- Total savings.
- Total assets.
- Bank account balances.
- Proportion of money spend on savings, basics, fun, etc.
- Effective hourly wage.
- Total income.
- Total expenses.
5. Career & Work
Is: your work, job, career, or business; your source of income.
- Is what you do your calling?
- Are you engaged?
- Have you optimized your job?
- Are you networked within your industry?
- Does your job enable you to experience mastery, passion, and autonomy?
6. Health & Fitness
Is: diet, exercise habits, free of disease, overall energy level, healthy eating.
- What do you eat?
- Do you exercise regularly?
- How often do you get sick?
- What is your overall energy level and resistance to illness?
- What are your major health issues and susceptibilities?
7. Knowledge & Education
Is: knowledge, education, talents, skills, mental development, learning new things.
- What do you know?
- Are you developing your mind and learning new things?
- What are your talents and skills?
- Are you being educated?
Is: spreading ideas, discussing, influence, persuasion, arguing, philosophizing, debating, opinions, interacting, writing, speaking.
- Are you spreading ideas?
- How much time do you spend time discussing, influencing, persuading, arguing, philosophizing, debating, interacting, writing, or speaking?
- Can you communicate effectively with strangers?
- Can you discuss things you believe without feeling defensive?
- Can you discuss difficult or controversial topics?
9. Intimate Relationship
Is: the intimate relationship(s) you have or want to have; your partner; the quality of your relationship.
- Are you in a close relationship?
- How is it going?
10. Social Life
Is: your home life, relationships with family members, friends, social experiences, networking, clubs, organizations.
- Are you networking?
- Are you meeting new people?
- Are you a member of any clubs and organizations?
- Are you maintaining your friendships?
Is: general feeling about life; optimism vs pessimism, positivity vs negativity, emotional awareness
- What is your general feeling about life?
- Are you optimistic or pessimistic, positive or negative?
- Are you aware of your emotions as they are happening?
- How big is your identity?
12. Character & Integrity
Is: your integrity, honesty, courage, compassion, honor, self-discipline, mindset, etc.
- How do you rate in terms of integrity, honesty, courage, etc.?
13. Productivity & Organization
Is: memorized solutions, daily routine, schedule, effectiveness.
- How good is your productivity?
- Do you act effectively?
- Are you organized?
- Do you have a reliable productivity system?
- When you need a piece of information, how easily can you find it?
14. Fun & Adventure
Is: experiencing what you want to experience; enjoying life; creativity; things do for fun; hobbies; recreation.
- Are you experiencing what you want to experience?
- Are you enjoying life?
- Are you doing things for fun?
- Do you have any hobbies or regular recreational activites?
- Do you have any creative pursuits?
15. Thinking & Deciding
Is: thinking skills, decision effectiveness, rationality habits.
- Are you using these rationality habits?